Thursday, September 20, 2012

Daddy Daughter Dance

After reading John Kass' column in the Chicago Tribune today (September 20, 2012) I thought I would write a little something about Daddy/Daughter Dances.

Daddy Daughter dances are a time where a father and his daughter get to spend time together.  This is where you spend fun, quality time with each other.  You don't have to dance.  You don't have to be good at dancing.  You just have to be there.   No other man on the planet will treat you better than the way your father will treat you.  Like a princess.

If you had a bad experience with your father, I'm sorry.  Maybe there is another male figure in your
life you can compare this to, say, a favorite uncle, an older brother or a grandfather.

I didn't have the experience of a Daddy Daughter dance.  I did get to spend a lot of time with my dad.  I remember when he took me to see the play, Annie.  It was late at night.  I also remember him falling asleep during the performance. :)   (I didn't wake him because he worked long hours and was usually in bed at that time)

Bella and RT had their first daddy daughter sweetheart dance in February.   They had a great time dancing and eating sweets.  (Alot of sweets, according to Bella)  They even went out for ice cream after the dance.  Pictures and lots of fun memories.

So, I was surprised to read in the article that the ACLU was getting involved in Rhode Island banning daddy daughter dances.  If you read the article, a single mother was upset because her daughter's father was not in the picture.  She stated that this was unfair.

I wonder why she didn't see this as an opportunity.  Maybe there is an important male family member (uncle, grandpa, big brother) that could take her to the dance?  If there isn't another male, why didn't she, the mother, take her daughter to the dance?  What a way to make some memories with your daughter. 

And, for those of you who say, what about your sons.  There is a father son brunch that is held at our junior high.  There are numerous mother/son luncheons (there is one at the high school that I know Nick is just dying to take me to).  

I don't see why the ACLU has to get involved.  I don't see why the ACLU has to take this special tradition away.

It's just a dance. 

It's just a way to make some memories with your daughter.

1 comment: