Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vegetarian Diaries

Some more of my musings on being a vegetarian.

I was visiting my mom during lunch time.  She offered me some lunch meat.  I said, I don't eat meat.  She said, "I know you don't eat meat.  You can have some, it's ok."  Apparently it's ok to have meat when you are a vegetarian if you are visiting your mom.  It's one of those rules I did not know about.

When cooking for the family, I do cook meals with meat.  This means I have to cook two separate meals.  The difficult part is not tasting a meal that you are cooking.  I just have to rely on my past cooking experience and just hope for the best.  It's also nice to get feed back from those eating the meal, too.

Bella told me that I can't eat ice cream.  She said that since I'm a vegetarian I can only eat vegetables.  She said if I want ice cream, I have to be an ice cream-a-tarian.  Bella said that she would like to become an ice cream-a-tarian so she could eat ice cream all the time.

I get asked quite often if I'm always hungry.  (I'm not always hungry)  Not sure if there's the idea that you should walk around feeling stuffed?  I might snack, but, my snack might be a few almonds or some fruit.  So, no, I'm not always hungry.
 
I was invited over for dinner and was told that they were making chicken. 
"You eat chicken, right?"
"No, I'm a vegetarian."
"Well, I can make pork, then.  You can eat pork, right?
I'm thinking this country needs a little food education.  Start with the basics:  What is meat?  What are vegetables?  What are fruits?

I believe bacon should be included in the vegetarian diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment