Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pickles!

That's right, pickles!

We had so many cucumbers from our garden, I decided to try making pickles.  I got a few recipes from my mother-in-law and decided to combine a few to make a batch.

I would have made some earlier in the season, but, we kept eating our cucumbers so fast.  I didn't think I would have this many cucumbers from our garden.  (I was picking about a dozen cucumbers every few days)

Here are some pictures of my pickle making fun.


white vinegar, sugar and salt
(there really is something in there)

a very shiny pickle jar picture

pack them in tight!
well, not too tight, you want to be able to get them back out

add the pickling spice

cap on, give it a shake and put in your refrigerator
I waited about 10 days to try them
 
Here is the pickling spice I used

This is a great idea to do with the abundance of cucumbers that you get from your garden.  And, you are able to enjoy your crop much longer.  :) 

This is taken from "Corky's Pickles" with a few modifications here and there.

mix together:
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 cup vinegar

put in the bottom of jar:
1 clove garlic
1 sprig dill

put in pickles
put vinegar mixture in jar
add 1 Tablespoon of pickling spice
fill with cool tap water
put in refrigerator

*Update:  I skip the sprig of dill and add the pickling spice to the cucumbers.  These have been our favorite pickles so far.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment