Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fleas, Ticks, Mites, Mange, Itchy, Itchy, Itch!

Now that's a title that makes you itchy and want to scratch!

We have had Pippen for a month now and what a crazy month it has been!
Pippen has been itching and scratchiing since we rescued him.  I thought Pippen had fleas so I gave him (and Newton) a flea bath.  Pippen still continued to scratch.  I thought maybe I dried his skin out with the flea bath and topical I put on him. 

Pippen had surgery on his back paws.  He had double dew claws on both back legs.  They stuck out pretty far.  We were afraid that he might snag them on something and it is best to have the surgery while he is a puppy.  I don't think it affected him much.  I don't think anything bother's him.  He is so calm and loving.  (well, he does have his occasional puppy fits) 
He has been sporting his "cone of shame" since his surgery. 
aww!
He needs to keep it on another week.

Since his surgery he has been on some antibiotics.  His itching seems to be getting worse.  It has gotten to the point of him scratching until he bleeds. 

I started looking up on the internet (uh-oh, here we go) and thought he might have mites.  Mites are microscopic and can be detected by a Veterinarian by doing a scraping and looking under a microscope. 

My next guess was mange (also caused by mites).  After reading about these two, I have been itchy.  And, finally, I thought he might be allergic to the antibiotics.  (although, he was itching when we got him).  His skin, which is normally pink was getting black in some places on his legs and stomach.

So, off to the vet we went to find out the source of the itching.  The Vet combed for fleas (didn't find any).  He also did a skin scraping (which is as gross as it sounds) (he doesn't have mites or mange)  And, he is not allergic to the antibiotics.  Pippen's skin is very dry.  The vet thinks it's a skin allergy and (skin) infection. 

The poor guy has been through alot (Pippen, not the Vet).  He has more medicine to take (RT will say "along with another huge vet bill").  Luckily Pippen will take his medicine with a little peanut butter. 

Every time Pippen scratches, I feel a little itchy.  I hope he feels better soon and that the itching goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment