Friday, May 25, 2012

The New Word

There is always a word that people use (overuse is more like it) when they speak.  A word that just feels so comfortable that they make sure it fits in their vocabulary.  The word is so well liked that they use the word over and over in the same conversation.  Sometimes using it more than once in a single sentence.

When I was growing up, the word "like" was popular.  Example: I'm like going to the like store.  This word gets quite a bit of use and is still popular today.  Hang out around junior high or high school kids and you will be able to see the word "like" get a good workout.

"Like" moved on to Valley Talk.  You remember that time, don't you?  Valley Talk got a big boost from Moon Unit Zappa with her song, "Valley Girl."  "Ok, fine, fer sure fer sure"
check out those 80's duds and hair do's.  Ouch!

Gradually "you know" moved in.  It worked very well with "like."  For example, "Well, like, you know."  You don't even have to add extra words, you can just say, "like, you know."  That's easy for anyone to understand.

In the '90s, "awesome" was popular.  People, and experiences were not nice, good or great, they were awesome.  "I had an awesome time visiting the park.  It was awesome that my friends were there.   You should have been there.  It was awesome!"  Can anything or anyone get better that awesome?  How do you reply when someone tells you, "You did an awesome job today." ?  What can you do tomorrow that will be better than today?  (Can you do any better than awesome?  Do you just quit or retire after that compliment?)

Awesome turned into "amazing."  I had an amazing time.  You are amazing.  The fall colors are just amazing.  I'm not sure if amazing is better than awesome.  One day you are amazing.  The next day you are awesome.  Which day was your best day?

Amazing moved onto "historic."  Isn't everything historic?  Anything that you do will be something that was done in the history of time.  The definition of historic: Having importance in or influence on history.  So, if I have that extra piece of cake, it will have an important impact on my waistline (or what was my waistline).  Do we really need to remind everyone that what they are doing or seeing is "historic?"  I would think that is something that we, as human beings, would understand without being told.

Historic, which is still being used, has moved on to "epic."  Epic fail.  Epic burger.  Epic smile.  You're epic. 

The latest new word I have been hearing?  It has been used in the past, but  I think it's trying to make a comeback.  The word:  "wicked."    Wicked good.  That ride was wicked.

I might have missed a few in there somewhere.  Let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment