Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Vegan Diaries - Jambalaya

I've been missing my days in New Orleans.  I miss the music.  I miss the weather.  I miss the history.  But, most of all, I miss the food!  

While in New Orleans, I was lucky to find places that served vegetarian meals.  Finding Creole and Cajun vegetarian meals was difficult, but, possible (if you walked far enough).   I found this recipe here and thought I would give it a try. This is my first time making Jambalaya, so I was a bit nervous.  Especially after tasting delicious Jambalaya in New Orleans!  Turns out, this Vegan Jambalaya brought back lots of good New Orleans memories.  

Here's the recipe:



Slow Cooker Vegan Jambalaya

Ingredients:
1 TBSP olive oil
1 28oz can diced tomatoes with juice
8oz seitan, cut into cubes
8oz smoked vegan sausage, cut into 2" slices
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
okra, chopped*
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP miso paste
1 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning **
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup rice
1 TBSP chopped parsley 

Directions:

Drizzle bottom of slow cooker with olive oil.  Stir in tomatoes with juice, seitan, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, okra, vegetable broth, garlic, miso paste, Cajun seasoning, thyme and oregano into crock.

Cook on low for four hours.  Add rice to crock and cook on high until rice is cooked through (about 30 minutes).  Garnish with parsley.


*I added okra, because, what's jambalaya without okra?  I added about 8-10 whole pieces (then chopped them).

**Don't have Cajun seasoning?  Make your own.


Cajun seasoning:

1/2 TBSP sea salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TBSP paprika
1 TBSP dried oregano
1 TBSP onion granules
1 TBSP garlic granules
1 tsp dried thyme

Mix together in a bowl and store in a small jar.


Hope you give this recipe a try.  If you do, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment