Friday, March 9, 2018

Vegan Diaries - Cauliflower Fried Rice

It's been awhile since I've posted a recipe.  I haven't totally committed to being vegan, but, I do try to avoid dairy and eggs whenever possible.

I had a head of cauliflower and I wanted to try a new recipe.  I found a Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe and thought I would give it a try.  We like fried rice.  All that's different is substituting the cauliflower for the rice.  Great for people trying to avoid too much rice/starch. 

The recipe is (A LOT) easier to make than regular fried rice.  I feel like I didn't dirty as many pots and pans.  I substituted a little rice vinegar and I think that helped take out the bite (tang?) that cauliflower has when cooked.  

Here's the recipe:

Cauliflower Fried Rice

ingredients:
vegetable oil
1 head cauliflower
1 TBSP grated ginger
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup green peas
1 cup corn
1 cup carrots, finely chopped
1 TBSP rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 
soy sauce (to taste)
3 eggs, scrambled, cooked, chopped (optional)
tofu  browned, cut in small cubes  (optional)

directions:
Cut out stem and remove leaves from cauliflower.  Cut Cauliflower into small pieces and place in food processor.  Pulse until resembles rice.  You might want to do this in several steps to make sure all of the cauliflower gets chopped up.

Heat 2 TBSP of oil in large skillet on medium heat.  Add onions, garlic and ginger and carrots.  Cook until softened.  Add cauliflower, 3-4 TBSP soy sauce and rice vinegar and let cook.  I put the lid on the pan and let it cook for a little (10 minutes).  Check and stir often so doesn't stick.   Add peas and corn.*  Also, time to add egg or tofu.  Cook for another 10 minutes.

Once thoroughly cooked, season to taste**   


*If using frozen peas and corn, this step might take a little longer.  You will have to check the mixture and make sure that the peas and corn are heated through. 

*Might want to add a tad more rice vinegar or soy sauce at this point.  

What's great about this recipe is that you can throw different vegetables in depending on what's in your refrigerator.  Broccoli, mushrooms, spinach or onion.  You get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment