Thursday, August 31, 2017

Vegan Diaries - Pad Thai

So, it's been about 12 days on this vegan journey (the two week vegan challenge), not that I'm counting days, or anything......

I have to say, it has been getting a lot easier.  Once I got over the dairy hump and my "need for cheese," things have been a lot smoother.  I find that I'm not missing cheese as much.  I did invest in some vegan cheese (made with almond milk) and am looking to see how that tastes.  I do find that I am missing ice cream.  I haven't found a replacement for that.....yet.

RT came home one night and suggested I try my hand at a Vegan Pad Thai.  I searched the web and found this recipe for Pad Thai on Vegan Insanity .

The Vegan Pad Thai was a hit!  I thought I would share the recipe:

taken from Vegan Insanity

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 block firm tofu, drained, chopped into cubes
1 cup rice noodles *
1 medium head of broccoli, chopped
2 zucchini, spiraled
1/2 small red pepper, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove minced
4 green onions, chopped

For the sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ginger

toppings: 
chopped peanuts, sesame seeds, chopped cilantro

directions:
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large pan and cook tofu until browned on all sides**

Cook noodles accordingly.

While noodles are cooking, heat 1 Tbsp oil and add broccoli, zucchini and red pepper.  Cook for 5-10 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for another minute.  Drain cooked noodles and add to pan of veggies along with the tofu.

In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients.  Pour over noodles/veggies.

Serve topped with peanuts, sesame seeds and chopped cilantro


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

If you looked at the original recipe, it does call for brown sugar in the sauce.  If you know me, then you know that I'm not a huge fan of sugar in my dishes.  I eliminated the sugar in this recipe and it was not missed.

*Rice noodles, zoodles (zucchini noodles) or even angel hair spaghetti will work

**I cooked my tofu in coconut oil and added some peanut butter

***You can add in whatever vegetables you have on hand.  I added some carrots and green pepper.


If you try making it, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment