Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Vegetarian Diaries

I have been on this vegetarian journey for about 3 months now and have noticed a few things along the way. 
When I tell people that I am a vegetarian, they automatically assume that I only eat salads.  Now, I do love salad, don't get me wrong.  I don't think I can eat it three times a day, for the rest of my life.  I like a little variety in my meals.
Another thing I hear, "you need to eat meat to get your protein."  I respond by letting them know that you can get protein from other foods (i.e., beans/legumes).  There is always a reply of, "It's not the same protein that you get from meat."  I'm not about to get into an argument with anyone about this subject, I also feel I shouldn't have to educate everyone on food (or food choices) so, I let it stay at that.
We went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago.  At the rehearsal dinner, the menu was already planned.  All meat.  I asked the waitress if I could have something without meat.  She said she could bring out a flat bread with grilled vegetables.  Everyone was served their meal.  The waitress said they were working on my meal and that it would be out shortly.  I guess that's one of the difficulties of being a vegetarian.  You have to wait a little longer.  I don't mind.  At least I know that my meal is being specially made for me and everyone will have to wait for me to finish my meal before dessert is served.
For the wedding reception I ordered the vegetarian meal (of course).  Once again, everyone was served their meal while I waited.  I was ok with waiting, but, was a little disappointed when I was served a huge plate of pasta (I'm not a huge pasta fan - I mean, I like it, but, just a small portion, please).  My pasta was swimming in oil with two asparagus spears cut up.  My children, who love pasta, couldn't eat it because of all the oil.  I guess my point is that there is a variety of food to be eaten other than pasta. (and the pasta doesn't have to be drowning in oil).
Going to a restaurant is always interesting.  I just have to hope no one suggests a steak house.  If they do, I can be like Jerry on Seinfeld and order a salad.
      Here is the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XttdO1yipo
      (I'm having a problem adding the link)
Vacation meal planning has been interesting.  We went up to Michigan and RT said that we can grab sandwiches and bring them to the beach.  (sandwiches=with deli meats)  I said, that's great, what about me?  Eating a salad on a beach?  I envision sand flying, the sun beating down on me while I try to daintily eat my salad, which is now crunchier with the added sand topping.  Yogurt with a sprinkle of sand is always a possibility.  Or just an apple (just don't drop it in the sand).
I should mention the dinner that we had at Buffalo Wild Wings.  Did you know they do not have a meatless meal?  Well, duh, wings.  Chicken.  Meat.  The barbecue chicken salad (without meat) is really just a plain boring salad.
I guess you can view these as problems.  Some can be quite annoying, and, sometimes amusing, but, I'm not going to change my diet to satisfy others.  I feel great and I choose to continue down this road.

2 comments:

  1. Good, eat what you want to eat. But if you think that's bad, try the raw vegan diet where you don't eat anything that's cooked: no pasta, no bread, no cheese...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raw sounds interesting, but, I don't think I could give up cheese. I'm going to look into it a little more.

      Delete