Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Pickled Jalapeños

It's always a sad day for me to take down my vegetable garden.  I know it needs to be done.  I don't look forward to it.  It's a sign that summer is definitely over.  I pick everything and compost the rest of the plant.

This year, there was an abundance of jalapeños.  I made two batches of giardiniera and two arches of pickled jalapeños.   I seed my (take out all of the seeds) jalapeños so the giardiniera and pickled jalapeños are not as hot.  The only problem?   My hands burn for days.  Yes.  Days.  Well, when you are cleaning 40-50 jalapeños at one time...

I have to say, I'm thankful that "cleaning jalapeños" is not my full time job.  My hands would burn all of the time.My advice?

Invest in plastic gloves.

I thought I would repost those recipes in case you are looking to preserve some of your summer garden jalapeños.







  • 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced* 
  • 1 red peppers, diced 
  • 1 green peppers, diced 
  • 1 large carrot, chopped 
  • 1 medium onion, chopped 
  • 1/2 cup cauliflower, cut into small florets 
  • 1- 2 celery stalk, diced 
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • Cold water

  • *you can take seeds out to make it milder




  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano 
  • 1 teaspoon black peppers 
  • 1 cup white vinegar 
  • 1 cup olive oil 


  • In a bowl combine jalapeños, peppers, carrot, onion, cauliflower and celery.   Add Salt and enough cold water to cover mixture.  Mix well.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

    The next day:

    Rinse the vegetables thoroughly.


    Add the garlic, oregano and black peppers into the bowl.
    Stir in vinegar and olive oil and combine for the dressing.  Mix thoroughly.
    I put it in a clean glass jar (recycle a glass jar or you can go crazy and purchase a ball canning jar).  The giardiniera can be canned (did that make sense?).  Our supply didn't last very long (Hey!  We're from Chicago!).  Serve on beef sandwiches, pizza, salad or on my famous pasta salad.




    15-20 large jalapenos, sliced
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup distilled water
    4 Tablespoons sugar
    2 Tablespoons Kosher salt

    In a medium sauce pan combine the garlic, water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
    Heat to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Once at a boil; add the sliced jalapenos pressing them so they are submerged under the pickling liquids. Remove the pot off of the heat and let them sit for 10-15 minutes.

    Use tongs to transfer the jalapenos into a clean jar. Ladle the pickling juices over top until you've reached the top of the jar. Let cool at room temperature before securing a lid and popping them into the fridge.



    *Don't forget to wear protective gloves!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment