Friday, October 7, 2016

Mouse Poop

My Mom taught me a lot about cooking.  She gave me different tips.  Let me help prepare meals or desserts with her.  She eventually had me make dinner once a week when she took art class.  I think that was her goal.  To get one free day a week where she didn't have to cook dinner.  I always made the same meal.  I followed her recipe and never received any complaints when I cooked.

One of the "tips" she taught me was to always clean the tops of a can before you open it (you know, the tomato sauce or tomato paste cans?).  She said that her Mom taught her to do this when she learned how to cook.  I asked why?  She told me that there might be mouse poop on it so you have to clean it before you open it.  You don't want the mouse poop to get into your food (if the lid falls in).

Now, I don't know if this is/was true, but, to this day, whenever I open a can, I make sure to clean it before opening.

Over the years, I have taught all three of my kids how to cook.  I have always stressed the "mouse poop" rule.

One day, I was in the kitchen, cooking, and Nick grabbed a can from the pantry for me.  He said, "Don't forget to clean the top of the can so there's no mouse poop."

I said, You remember that?

He said, Of course.  It gave me such a visual that I find it necessary to clean all cans before opening them.

Do you clean the tops of your cans before you open them?

Will you clean them now, after reading this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment