Friday, August 7, 2015

Vegetarian Diaries: Tabbouleh

I think most of my recipes that I post are vegetarian.  

I got this recipe from my cousin, Margo.  She brought this to Easter one year and I fell in love with it.  She emailed the recipe to me and I still have the printed out email in my cookbook.  (This was from a time where email was sort of new)

Margo’s comments:  finely chopping the vegetables is quite tedious and time consuming but it’s well worth it. 

Tabbouleh

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (1 1/3 cups) bulgur wheat
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tomato chopped *
1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 cup canned tomato juice
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup cold water
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
3/4 tsp salt

In large bowl put all tabbouleh ingredients.  Mix well.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

*You can use 1 can diced tomato (15oz) instead of the tomato.  Use the entire can, including liquid and you can eliminate the 1 cup canned tomato juice

Serve it with crumbled feta or goat cheese sprinkled on top.

This is such a refreshing meal, especially on those extra hot summer days.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment