Wednesday, June 19, 2013

4H Summer Camp - Details from the teen

What really went down at 4H Summer Camp.

This isn't a wild and crazy post.  This is just the details of fun that was had by Alex at 4H camp last week.

I don't worry too much about Alex being awkward in any type of social situation because he has my Dad's personality (he can talk to and friend everyone he comes in contact with).  This camp experience was a new thing for him.  He did go with a couple of friends, but, as I learned, he didn't hang out with them the entire time.  He ventured off either by himself or with some new friends he made at camp.

This camp had quite a few activities to choose from each day (hiking, kayaking, shooting (yea, I  know), rock climbing, zip lining and arts and crafts).  They were able to do three activities a day (and they can do the same ones if they want).

Alex said he really enjoyed kayaking and did that most of the week.  Then, he surprised me and said that he did Arts and Crafts one time.  I had joked with him before he went that he would do that (arts and crafts) the entire trip.  Boys and arts and crafts?  Well, if there's all those other fun things going on, I just don't see it (arts and crafts) as one of the options that would get picked by Alex.  He doesn't mind doing crafty things, but with those other options hanging out there, those would get picked first. 

He mentioned that he made bouncy balls (those plastic bouncing balls you get in a gum ball machine).  He also said that he had a fun time and that he and his two friends were the only three boys in the class.  I think they liked that last part.  :) 

He mentioned the food (it was just okay), he mentioned his bathroom habits (I'm not going into that one, let's just say it's a 13 year old boy telling me...I don't think I need to say anymore), his counselors and how they (Alex and his cabin roomies) got into a little trouble from what one of the counselors told them, the night time cabin scene (two boys (brothers) would fight for awhile, all of them would make fart sounds), and how they had to sing to get into the dining hall (Alex wouldn't sing and the counselors would stand on either side of him singing loudly in his ear.  He said towards the end of the week he was singing).

One of the moms volunteered to pick the boys up from camp and drive them home.  Five boys who have been at camp for a week.  Five smelly boys who probably haven't showered all week.  Yea, that's why I didn't volunteer.

Alex said to me, "Mom, you're not going to believe this but I showered EVERY DAY and one day I showered TWICE!"   I almost fell over hearing that because it takes A LOT of begging and pleading with him to take a shower when he is here at home.

Alex had such a great time, made lots of friends that he is looking forward to going to the camp again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment