Friday, April 17, 2020

Two Easters

Growing up, my parents sent me to private (religious) schools.  During Holy Week at school, we would talk about:  Jesus entering Jerusalem riding on a donkey and how the people lined the road with palm branches (also known as Palm Sunday), Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, The Last Supper, Judas' betrayal of Jesus, Jesus trial, the Crucifixion, His death and burial and Jesus rising from the dead on Sunday.

A lot of thinking and introspection go on during Holy Week.  When you are a young child, you focus on the whole death part of Easter.  Jesus dying for you because of your sins.  It makes you think about (especially as a young child) all that you have done wrong in your life and why does he have to die so violently?  And, why did they choose crucifying?  That image for a child is pretty gruesome.  Jesus dies (a very violent death), everyone is sad and then three days later he is alive and everyone is happy again. 

I grew up celebrating Orthodox Easter with my family.  The two Easters were usually one week apart.  Every once in awhile they would be on the same day.  Going through all of that (Holy Week and Jesus dying) once a year is hard.  It makes you think, reflect and pray and you come out of it on a happy note.  But, to go through all of this whole Easter cycle twice a year can be very depressing. 

Orthodox Easter is one week later this year (this Sunday).  This year will be a little strange since I won't be able to celebrate with extended family.   Once again, I will be experiencing Jesus second death and His second resurrection from the dead.  I'm not sure if I should feel like I'm special or that I have a lot of explaining to do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment