Friday, April 27, 2018

Vegan Diaries - Cuban Style Black Beans

I have been trying to duplicate these out of this world black beans that we had at a restaurant and I think I've found a recipe that comes pretty close.  I would ask the restaurant, but, they changed the recipe.  They served the delicious black beans when they first opened the restaurant.  Now they serve black beans, but, not as good as the dish on that first visit.

I found this recipe here .  I made a few changes as I went along.  I didn't have dry beans, so, I used a can of beans (that eliminates the soaking of the beans).  I also skipped the tapioca starch.

Here's the recipe:

Cuban Style Black Beans

ingredients:
1 cup black beans
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
6 cups water
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
salt to taste
coconut oil
**1 TBSP tapioca starch mixed with 2 TBSP warm water (for thickness)

directions:
Rinse beans and let soak overnight.
The next day, drain off dark colored water and replenish with the 6 cups of water.
Add bay leaves and TBSP of coconut oil to pot.
Bring water to boil then reduce to simmer for an hour.
The beans should be soft to touch
Sautee garlic, onions and peppers in a separate skillet with coconut oil.
Season with black pepper, oregano, cumin and salt.
Once onions are translucent, transfer to pot with beans and stir.
Use the ladle to extract some of the beans to mash them before returning them back to the pot.  This will help thicken the bean sauce.  (can add tapioca starch mix, if needed)
Stir in the apple cider vinegar and reduce to a low heat.
Put lid on pot to allow to simmer for another 20 minutes.
Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment