Monday, October 21, 2013

Vegetarian Diaries - Vegetarian Chili

Ooh!  Can you feel it?  That chill in the air! It means only one thing.   It's that time of year.  Time to make a big pot of (vegetarian) chili and cozy up!

I have been making this recipe for years.  Forcing my family to eat a healthy bowl of cooked vegetables  Enjoying the taste of yummy vegetables.  It's so good (and good for you!).

Feel free to substitute other vegetables.  I have been known to throw in zucchini, green pepper or celery. 

By the way, I do make chili with meat for the rest of my family.  It's hard when you can't try it to see if it tastes good.  So far, I have had raving reviews.  Not sure what I'm doing right.  Maybe it's just years of cooking experience?

Well, here's the recipe:

Vegetarian Chili

4 tsp sunflower seed oil
1 medium size butternut squash, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
3 Tbsp chili powder
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 4oz can chopped green chiles
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cans black beans, rinsed, drained
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In a large pot, heat 2 tsp of the oil.  Add butternut squash and cook, stirring until golden.  Remove and place in a separate bowl.

In same pot, heat 2 tsp of the oil and cook carrots and onion until well browned.  Stir in chili powder.  cook about a minute, stirring.

Add tomatoes, chiles, vegetable broth.  Heat until boiling.  Reduce heat to low;  cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in black beans and squash.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili thickens.  Stir in cilantro. 

Serve.


I use fresh peppers instead of the can of chiles.  Throw in a jalapeno to give it a little kick!
Sometimes I add kidney beans (so one can black beans, one can of kidney beans).
I toss a little cumin in there, too.

You can definitely make a small batch of this by reducing ingredients.  I make a small batch if I know I will be the only one eating it.  I would think you could freeze a portion of this, too.

Again, if you try it, let me know how it turns out.  I would love to hear from you!

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! It kills me that my kids don't like beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't add the beans, then. I'm sure it will taste just as delicious. :)

      Delete