Friday, October 25, 2013

Fundraisers

The kid's schools are always doing fundraisers.

Order your school supplies and the school makes some money (yea, don't get me started on this one. I wrote a little about this subject here). Benefit nights: order food from a  specified restaurant and the school gets a percentage of the total dollar amount.  Overpriced wrapping paper.  Market Day.  Book sales. Ice cream social (one of the biggest fundraisers our school does). Yearbook. Oh, yea. They make money on the year book. Can you believe that?  
 
I could go on and on.  Everything the school does is to make money.  It's not like they need all of this money.  We do pay an arm and a leg through taxes to send our children to these schools (our public schools are decent, I have no reason to complain about the education they are providing my children).  There are a number of people who live in the area that (pay the taxes) and then send their children to private schools (almost like paying double for your child's education). And then there are the empty nesters who pay taxes and don't have kids in school (we are surrounded by them).  So, there should be a little extra cash floating around for the schools to use. 

Today I just received a flyer for yet another fundraiser. This one has a tiny copy of Bella's artwork. It's so small, you can barely see it. The idea is that I can order items and have this artwork imprinted onto them.  My problem?  Besides the overpricing of the items?  It doesn't look like any of the artwork that Bella has ever done!  Bella told me that the teacher had them draw a picture of an alien. (An alien?) I guess I can see some people good at drawing an alien, but, Bella?  Drawing an alien?  Yea. I hate to say it but it looked awful. Bella agreed. She said it was the first time she drew an alien. She didn't want to draw one, but that was the assignment. 

The sad thing is the teachers keep bringing up that the kids have to get their orders in. I don't like that the teachers are giving the kids this big push just so they can make money for the school.

I'm thinking this whole fundraising is getting a little out of hand.  I think I would prefer to be asked if I can just donate some money when needed.  Or how about giving us a break and limit it to a couple fundraisers a year?  

What do your schools do for fundraising? 

1 comment:

  1. Either the schools are greedy, or the government should be spending more on education and less on the military.

    What does my school do for fundraising? Hey, Fontaine, can you send me some money? :)

    ReplyDelete