Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy New Year!

 Well, we survived 2020!  It's time to look forward to 2021!

I don't know about you, but, I think I will hold off on buying a planner for this year.  

I do know that I will definitely be celebrating by making a big batch of Hoppin' John.  Eating black eyed peas on New Years Day is supposed to bring luck in the new year.  If you are in need of a vegetarian Hoppin' John recipe, click here.  

I also enjoy making a Greek sweet bread called, Vasilopita.  The tradition is as follows.  When the clock strikes midnight, the lights are turned off and then turned on again to mark the end of the old year and the beginning of the new year.  The Vasilopita is cut into slices.  Inside the Vasilopita there is a hidden gold coin.  The custom is, whoever finds the gold coin in their slice of bread will have good luck for the whole year.   Click here for the recipe.  

How do you start of your New Year?  

Do you do anything special?

No comments:

Post a Comment