Friday, January 22, 2021

The Lost Art of Cursive Handwriting

Cursive is any style of writing where some of the letters are joined together.  It is intended for everyday use.  There is formal cursive and casual cursive.  Formal cursive is where all of the letters are joined.  Casual cursive is when there are more pen lifts and only a couple of letters are joined.   Cursive was intended to make writing faster.  It also helps you remember things when you put pen to paper and write them out.  

I remember taking handwriting class in elementary school.  I was so excited to start writing in cursive.  I remember practicing at home on a chalk board the night before the start of the handwriting unit.   I couldn't wait to be able to read and write in cursive.  It was like another language.  Oh, and I also remember getting "C's" in handwriting.  Apparently my letters were not exactly as they appeared in our handwriting book.  We used the D'Nealian style of writing and my "F's" never matched the letters in our book.  Maybe because "F" is the start of my name and I developed my own way of how that letter should appear in writing.  Also, my handwriting can be a little messy if I'm in a hurry.   Of course, after learning cursive, all of our papers had to be written in cursive.  I guess that was good practice for us.

When my children were in elementary school, I looked forward to their cursive unit.  I thought it would be fun to see their penmanship.  I was disappointed that the teachers did not spend as much time with the students teaching this subject.  I was told that computers were the way of the future and that our children would not need this skill.  Of course, I made my children practice their penmanship.  You never know when you might need to handwrite a note or letter.  I can't say that they have great penmanship (one of them is a lefty) but at least they know how to write in cursive if needed.

All of this came back to me when I realized there are people out there that can not read anything that is written in cursive.  I understand that little children can't read cursive.  They learn how to print their letters.   

It makes me wonder if once (us old people) die, will cursive handwriting die with us?  Will it be something that future generations will take as an informational college course?  "How past generations used to communicate with others by using a pen, paper and fancy handwriting."

Do you still write in cursive?

No comments:

Post a Comment