Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Vasilopita Bread - Greek New Year's Bread

 This year I went in search of a new Vasilopita Bread recipe.  I wanted something a little easier.  I also wanted to get a little closer to my Aunt Vi's Vasilopita recipe.  My Aunt Vi made the best Vasilopita.  I know my bread won't be number one, but this recipe definitely takes second place.  Sadly, I don't have my Aunt Vi's recipe, so I took to the internet and found this recipe here.
 
Here's the recipe:

Vasilopita Bread

ingredients:
1 pkg active dry yeast
3/4 cup milk, lukewarm
3 eggs, beaten
1.5 tsp grated orange rind
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground masticha
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg (for glazing)
blanched split almonds or sesame seeds

directions:
Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of milk
Add remainder of milk, eggs, orange rind and sugar.
In a warm bowl, add 3 cups flour, salt and spices make a well in the center.
Pour in yeast mixture and stir to blend in flour.  Gradually add warm melted butter.
Mix dough with hands until it comes away from the sides.
Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding remaining flour as required.
Knead for 10 minutes.
Place ball of dough in bowl that has been greased with butter.
Turn dough over to coat top with butter and cover bowl with a cloth or plastic wrap.
Leave to rise in warm place until doubled.
Punch down and turn onto lightly floured surface.
Knead lightly and shape into a round loaf.
Place onto large greased baking sheet or greased 10" round baking dish
Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (1.5-2 hours).
Glaze with beaten egg and arrange almonds or sesames onto the bread (pressing lightly).
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes until golden brown and cooked when tested.
If bread browns too quickly, place greased parchment paper on top.
Cool on wire rack

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I used the 1/2 cup of sugar and it turned out wonderfully.
I did not add the orange rind and the world did not end.
I used oatmilk instead of milk and the bread turned out great.
I have yet to try it with a flax egg, but I did use vegan butter.

This bread turned out wonderfully.  My family devoured it quickly.  This bread is a sweet bread.  Tastes great plain or with a little butter (regular or vegan).  I did catch a couple of family members eating this bread with dinner.  Of course, my family loves good bread, so, I took this as a compliment.

Let me know if you try making Vasilopita.  I would love to hear how your bread turns out!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment