Thursday, January 1, 2015

Vegetarian Hoppin John

Happy New Year!

Thought we would celebrate this year with a little Hoppin' John for good luck for 2015.

Hoppin' John is a black eyed peas and rice dish that they serve in the South.  It is a meal that is to bring good luck to you in the year when eaten on New Years Day.

I had a hard time finding a vegetarian recipe for Hoppin' John.  A lot of the recipes call for cooking with a ham hock or some bacon.  Not going to happen here, so, I decided to wing it and come up with my own Hoppin' John recipe.

Here goes:

Hoppin John

2 1/2 cups of Vegetable broth
1 cup of Farro*
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Sunflower oil
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 15oz can black eyed peas
Cajun seasoning

Bring Farro to boil in Vegetable broth and cook until done.

In a pot, cook onion in Sunflower oil until onion is translucent.  Add tomato, black eyed peas and Farro.  Mix.  Add in your Cajun seasoning.  Heat through.

*I used Farro instead of rice.  You can substitute rice (white or brown) for this recipe.  I just like Farro.

I didn't have any Cajun spice on hand, but, put some ground (cayenne) red pepper and some cumin.  I even added one clove of garlic.  You can even add a jalapeño!  Mmm!  Delicious!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment