Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Sunflowers

This Spring we decided to grow sunflowers from seed indoors.  Normally we grow them (from seed) when we plant the garden.  Unfortunately, the birds (or squirrels) start digging where we plant the seeds.  If they survive that and actually grow, then it's the rabbits that get them.  The rabbits think it is a free all you can eat salad bar and snack on the plants until there is nothing left.  It doesn't matter if I plant them in different spots around the house.  I'm lucky if a hand full of them actually grow.  We have learned a valuable lesson during all of this experience.  A good chicken wire fence keeps them safe from snacking rabbits.  This, of course, is all thanks to RT and his fence making business.

So, as I was saying, we started growing our sunflowers in the house.  RT became quite attached to the little guys.  Watering them, making sure they were getting enough sun, giving them pep talks.  He even set them outside a few times so they could get some wind training.  Oh, and he started calling them our children.  

When we planted our garden a couple of weeks ago, we planted half of the children  sunflowers.  RT would go out there daily to check on them and make sure they were adjusting to their new home.  I planted the rest of the children sunflowers out front.  I gave a couple of plants to the neighbor boy.  He was out front digging and I figured it would be fun for him to take care of during the summer.  I asked RT to put up a fence around the children out front,  so they don't get gobbled up by the rabbits.  I also mentioned that I gave a couple of the kids  sunflower plants to the neighbor.  RT put a fence around the neighbor's sunflowers and explained that we raised them like children.  

All the children  sunflowers are planted and are doing quite well in their new homes.   I'll keep you up to date periodically on their progress.   If you want frequent reports, I'm sure RT would be happy to fill you in with daily updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment