Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Bagpipes

Every evening for the last couple of weeks, starting around 5pm, I notice that I can hear bagpipes playing down the street from me.  At first I thought that I was hearing things.  You know how sometimes you hear music in your head (or is that just me?)?  I'm not exactly sure why I would hear bagpipe music in my head.  Maybe I have been watching too much "Outlander?"

Anyway, it all started when we rented that stump grinder a few weeks ago.  When we were finishing up for the evening, I could faintly hear the sounds of bagpipes playing in the distance.  I found it a little odd and thought that maybe I was just hearing things.  I mean, hearing bagpipes playing is a normal thing, isn't it?

Time went by, and every evening when I would step out front, I could hear the bagpipes.  They were always coming from the same direction.  I thought it was pretty cool and would hang outside and listen for a little while.  I didn't think much about it.  The music was played during the late afternoon/early evening.  It wasn't obnoxiously loud.  And, I thought it was cool because it was something different to experience.

Apparently, some of the neighbors do not agree with me.

We have this neighborhood app where people like to complain a lot  you can ask neighbors questions, report traffic issues and sell items.  The app can be quite useful.  Many of the questions are about things happening in the area, like, when is garbage day this week?  Is it branch pick up this week?  Some people ask questions about plants they have found in their yard, recommendations on restaurants, local companies, etc.  Unfortunately, the app sometimes turns into a "complaint department." 

One of the questions asked was about hearing bagpipes playing.  It was asked as an innocent question but the post must have had 50 replies.  Quite a few positive replies with the people thanking the bagpiper, and then there were the complaints.  "It bothers my dog."  "I don't like it."  "It's too loud."

With this whole quarantine time, I've had plenty of time to reflect.  Being isolated or quarantined has helped me to try and find something positive in what is happening around me.  Try to enjoy the little things in life, like bagpipe music in the evenings.  And, if it isn't something that you (or your dog) want to hear, then go inside your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment