Thursday, March 4, 2021

The Birthday Post

I try to make birthdays a special day for my kids.  Growing up, I felt special on my birthday and I wanted to pass along that feeling to my children.

I always wondered about people who aren't big on their birthday.  And, then I heard about those who don't know their exact birthday date.  I thought, how do you not know your birthday?

Then I met someone who didn't know their birth date.  

I got to know this person over time.  We enjoyed lots of random talks on various subjects.  One day, we got on the subject of birthdays.  That's when she told me that she didn't know her exact birth date.  I actually felt sad.  Your debut into the world and you don't know the exact date?   I asked her why she didn't have that information.   That's when she told me that she was adopted.  She was left at an orphanage as an infant.  Because she was abandoned, the orphanage did not have any paperwork for her and assigned her a birth date.  She told me that other babies were abandoned around the same time and they were all given the same birth date.  She is in touch with these women and feels close to them, calling them sisters.  In fact, they try to celebrate their special day together whenever possible.

Today is my birthday.  I don't remember my debut into the world or anything about that day.  I do know that an exact date (or time) isn't that important.  Your birthday is just a date for you to celebrate you.

Today I will be celebrating me.

No comments:

Post a Comment