Friday, August 23, 2019

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Country Roads, take me home
to the place I belong
West Virginia
Mountain Momma
Take me home
Country Roads

I'm sure every family has some weird, strange, odd ritual that they do together.   A little something that, when reminded, brings a smile to your face.

Maybe you:
eat Sunday dinner together
Make Christmas cookies
Watch scary movies together

Maybe you have a family whistle so you can find one another in a store, park, or festival.

We are a family that likes to go hiking.  It can be local hiking or a nice trek while we are on vacation.

While we were hiking in the Smokey Mountains, RT came up with a family signal.  One that we can use while we are hiking.  The signal that RT came up with was for one of us (or all of us) to start singing, "Take Me Home, Country Roads."

When and why would we use this on our hike?

Well, if one of us was off the trail, you know, "checking things out," the others could let the person know that some people are approaching on the trail.  Once you hear the song, that means, "Hurry up and finish what you are doing and get out here!"

I'm sure I don't have to spell it out.  I think that last bit of information helped you figure out what the person is "checking out" off on their own off the trail.

At first, I thought it was kind of a silly thing.  Why do we need a signal?  We aren't going to use it.

And then, someone (me) realized they had to check some things out off the trail.  And, guess what?  People were approaching on the trail, so, we had to start singing!

Country Roads, take me home
to the place I belong
West Virginia
Mountain Momma
Take me home
Country Roads

I guess it wasn't that crazy of an idea because it came in quite handy during that trip and has been used many times since.

Do you have a family ritual, whistle or song?

How long with this song be stuck in your head?

No comments:

Post a Comment