Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Overheard

I changed my walking route.  I found I knew too many people on my old route.  I say "Hello" to everyone that I pass.  You know me, Ms. Friendly.  When I know a person, they stop me and talk my ear off  so they can have a little conversation.  I don't mind making small talk with people, but, when I have a good walking pace going, it's difficult to stop and then start back up again.  Sometimes it's too long of a conversation and I end up going straight home.  

On my new route, I don't see anybody I know, which is nice.  In fact, I see very few people.  I greet the few people I come across.  Remember, I'm Ms. Friendly.  Some people I pass are walking and talking on the phone and don't bother to respond to my greeting.

I find it difficult to hold a long, intense conversation while I'm walking.  I walk fast (it's kind of a workout for me).  That's probably why I don't talk to people on the phone while I'm walking.  I understand if the call is important and this is the only time and place you can take this call.

One woman I see is always on a personal call.  I'm not sure if it's the same person she talks to every day.  How much does she need to tell this person?  I like to talk, but, I think I would run out of things to say.  And, how do you walk/workout and talk at the same time?  Doesn't the other person get annoyed with all of the background noise and hearing your huffing and puffing?

One guy I passed today was on a business call.  Yea.  I listen in on other people's conversations.  Well, sometimes I do, when I'm not listening to music.  Anyway, I could hear him explain something technical.  I understand having to take a call from work if you are out walking.  What drove me crazy was how he kept saying, "Bro."  As he is explaining to his co-worker/employee? he would say, "OK, Bro," or "Thanks, Bro."  "And, Bro, don't forget..." 

I guess I didn't realize that "Bro" was making a come back into everyday vocabulary.  I thought it was more of an 80's word.  I also don't find the use of the word "Bro" to be very professional.  It seems much more casual.  Something you say to your friends.  Like, when you are, say, twelve.

Yea.  These are the things that I think about while I'm walking.

What are your thoughts on workouts and phone talking?

How do you feel about the word, "Bro" re-entering every one's vocabulary?

No comments:

Post a Comment