Wednesday, July 17, 2019

My Weird Dog - Skunked

I guess I underestimated the number of posts that I would be able to write about My Weird Dog.  He seems to keep me busy with ideas of what to write about here.  He might even need his own blog.  I might have to add a tab at the top so everyone can read about his adventures.

We have been putting Pippen on the side of our house, also known as, the side yard.  It is not his favorite place to be in the world.  Check previous posts and you will find Houdini  Pippen breaking out of jail  the side yard.  At night, to make sure he does his business before bed, I usually let him out front.  I have to be out there with him.  I don't want him running to the path if a dog is being walked by our house.

The other night, I went out front with him.  It was about 10:30pm, Bella was baby-sitting the neighbor (her first babysitting gig) and I thought we would wait out front for her.  When I opened the door, Pippen leaped out onto the front stoop and stood there staring at some trees.  I told him, "No."  I never know what wild animal might be out there.  I figure a fox or a raccoon.  Instead of listening to me, he took off toward the trees and was trying to catch something.  I called him back because I thought it was a little black cat.  As he was walking back, the "cat" tried to attack Pippen.  Of course, Pippen can't let it slide, so he goes after the "cat."  At this point, I'm afraid it's a raccoon and he's going to get hurt.  I call him back.  Again, he doesn't listen.  Instead, he flinches then runs to the front lawn and rolls around in the grass.  Of course I thought he got scratched by the "cat" and probably deserved it.  Then, the smell hit me.   The "cat" was not a cat after all.  The "cat" was a skunk.

Somehow I made it twenty years of having a dog and not having to deal with it getting skunked.

Twenty years......

until Pippen came along.

I found a great skunk solution online that works great on the dog.  My problem now is that the smell seems to be lingering in our house.  I opened windows and doors and had fans going.  Of course when it's 90F outside, it's a little difficult to get a nice breeze to go through the house.  Of all the times to get skunked, you would think he would have picked a time where we could have the windows open.

I've had the diffuser going.  When I think the smell is gone, I go outside for some fresh air.  When I return, I realize the smell is still lingering.  I also feel like the smell has attached to me or my clothes.  I seem to smell it when I'm out of the house.  Thank you, Pippen, for the gift that keeps on giving.

If you have any suggestions on how to get rid of the skunk smell from the house, besides burning it down, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. When Nanook got sprayed, I seem to remember placing cups of vinegar all around the house. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally figured out how I can reply to your comment!
      I had baking soda out. I thought RT would think I was strange with the white vinegar (and I wasn't sure it would work). White vinegar is my go to for everything (It's my windex).
      The smell is just about out. Pippen has a slight odor. And, I'm able to be out and about and not smell like marij...I mean, skunk.

      Delete