Monday, July 22, 2019

80's Music

Every decade has a distinct musical sound.

You have the introduction to rock in the '50's.

Rock and mystical along with the British invasions in the 60's.

Disco and rock in the 70's.

Pop, rap, dance, new wave, punk, heavy metal and, of course, rock in the 80's.

Alternative rock and grunge in the 90's.

I enjoy listening to all types of music but am most familiar with music from the 80's.  Probably because I was in high school during this time.  I even created an 80's music playlist on Spotify.  An odd combination of rock, rap, pop, dance, new wave and punk all rolled up into one nice bundle.  I listen to this list once in awhile...usually on one of my long walks.

Bella came home from dance class the other day singing a song.  As I listened, I realized that she was singing an 80's song.

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you

I immediately shouted, "Rick Astley, "Never gonna give you up!"  Where did you hear that song?"

Apparently at dance classes they do little dance routines and they have been using 80's music.  Of course, she has an advantage because she has heard most of the songs.  RT and I play a variety of music around the kids so they have been exposed to all sorts of musical styles.

I played my 80's playlist for Bella.  She liked my selection of songs and even sang along with a few of them.

It makes me happy to hear my kids listening to music from different decades.  It makes me happy to know that I did my job and opened their minds.

Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say good bye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

No comments:

Post a Comment