Monday, May 21, 2018

Cheerleader on the Sidelines

Growing up, my parents made me feel like I was the most important person in the world.  They were at sporting events and school events.  I could pick them out in the crowd.  The two people with huge smiles on their faces.  Beaming with pride.

I really didn't think much about it.  I mean, everything I did, every occasion, happy or sad, my parents were there for me.

I graduated High School.
I graduated college.
I got married.
I had kids.

My parents were always there.  Cheering me on.

My kids were/are involved in various sports and activities.  They join(ed) clubs.  They participate(d) in school and church events.  They moved on (or graduated) to different schools.

Here I am, in the stands, at Alex's High School Graduation and I'm cheering for him as he walks in with his class.

And, then, it hits me.

Helping out at preschool.
Watching him play soccer, baseball, football and basketball.
Watching him move on from 8th grade.
Watching him get ready for High School dances.
Taking him for his Drivers License.
Watching as he prepares for Air Band with his friends.
And now, watching him graduate High School.

I'm the one on the sidelines now.
I'm cheering my heart out.
I'm beaming with pride.
And I have the biggest smile on my face.

I'm the one that gets a hug or flower during a soccer or baseball game.
I'm the one cheering after he scores a basket.
I'm the one smiling when he starts a potential friendship club in High School.
I'm the one who beams with pride when visiting him at work.

I realize my kids are going places.  Where?  I don't know.  All I know is that wherever life takes them, I will be there too.  Sitting on the sideline.  Their own personal cheerleader.

Full of pride.
Smiling and...
Cheering them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment