Friday, February 17, 2017

Kid Songs

I used to listen to kid songs when Nick was little.  I had a cassette tape (yea, it was that long ago) with some goofy songs.  Nick never said anything about the songs.  I thought they would be fun for him to listen to and maybe educational?  < how?  I don't know.  The sing song melodies and the goofy words, maybe?

I eventually bought a second cassette because I was going crazy needed a little more variety.  I played these songs whenever we were in the car.  Running errands, going to school, visiting friends, going to the zoo or my parent's house.  It got to the point where I had these songs stuck in my head.  I would hum along to them throughout the day.

The final straw was when I couldn't sleep at night because I had a goofy song stuck in my head that kept playing over and over and over....  I felt bad about stopping the tapes, but, if I had these stupid goofy songs stuck in my head, what are they doing to my child?

Years later, I came across one of the tapes and asked Nick if he remembered listening to those songs.  He said he has some memory of them.  He thought they were silly and he wasn't crazy about them.

I became one of those "Bad Parents" that listens to the radio or to music from current or older artists.  The music was sometimes child friendly.  We're talking:  The Beatles, Bob Marley, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, The Guess Who (mainly, "Clap for the Wolfman," because it was a favorite of the boys), and Johnny Cash.  There are others that we listened to while they were growing up (even classical).   I feel they grew up appreciating all types of music.

Today, they have varied tastes and will listen to just about anything.

Did you play children's music for your kids?

Did you go crazy listening to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment