Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Funeral

We had to attend a funeral last week and it got me thinking.  No, not about the person that died.  Well, I thought about him a little.  I was thinking more about my own funeral.

Morbid, I know.

I've been to quite a few funerals in the last few years, so, I've had a lot of time to think on this subject.

When I was growing up, I was told that black is the appropriate color to wear to funerals.  To avoid bright colors and to especially avoid the color red.  Getting ready for this funeral, I found it was easy, since I have a selection of funeral clothes (or appropriate funeral attire) in my closet.  That's when the thinking process started.

I realized that I didn't want everyone at my funeral to wear black.  I want people to wear clothes with color.

Yea, I know.  Why do I care?  I'm dead!    I won't be able to see what happens.  But, I want my funeral to be a little happier.  I want it to be a celebration.

I mentioned this to RT and he said, "Don't worry, we'll be celebrating!"

I can always count on him to pull through for me.

I had to clarify with him that I wanted a celebration of my life (as opposed to, "Thankful that I'm gone").  He seemed a little disappointed.  For those of you for the latter, I'm sure he will host something.....

Along with those bright colors people are wearing, I want some fun stories to be told.  I know it will be hard to come by because I'm such a serious person.  I promise I'll work on that....

I want laughter and music playing in the background.  Not too much fun though, because I will be upset that I missed it!

I realize not everyone feels this way.  I understand it's a somber occasion and that it's best to dress appropriately (funeral attire) and, sharing some fond memories is always good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment