Sunday, January 22, 2017

Home made Lotion

It's been a really dry winter.  Of course, as I'm posting this, the weather here is in the 57F.

I've been using this lotion a lot this winter.  Working with paper at work (wrapping presents) and the dry air has taken a toll on my hands.  I have taken to bringing lotion bars with me to work (see recipe HERE)

My lips became really chapped, so I decided to put a little of this lotion on them before bed.  I woke up and my lips were much better.  (Need a lip balm recipe?  Click HERE)

I thought I would repost this Homemade Lotion recipe so you can be prepared when the temperature drops again.  To see the original post, click HERE.


Homemade Lotion

1 cup Raw shea butter
1/2 cup almond oil
1/2 cup coconut oil

1.  Melt shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes. 
2.  Stir in almond oil and essential oils of your choosing.*
3.  Place oil mixture in freezer or outside to chill.
4.  Wait until oils start to partially solidify (see photo) then whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved. 
5.  Place in clean, glass jar and enjoy! A little goes a long way.

*Not all essential oils are skin friendly or child friendly. Please do your research before adding.
*I add lavender oil and love it.
*I use the flat ball canning jars to put my lotion in after I make a batch.  It looks pretty on the bathroom counter.


If you make it, let me know how you like it.

**Update:  I made this lotion using Cocoa Butter and found it to be less greasy.  I love using it and will continue using the cocoa butter.  Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment