Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Dolmades

I enjoy cooking.

Well, let me rephrase that...

I enjoy cooking when the recipients of my masterpieces are grateful.  There usually aren't any complaints when I cook.  There is one child who will complain no matter what I make....we won't mention the name here, tho.

One of my masterpieces that I enjoy making is Dolmades (or stuffed grape leaves).  I'm pretty good at making them.  I can't say I'm great or the best, because  my Yiayia earned that title.  I can't compete with her Dolmades.

Dolmades are grape leaves that are stuffed with meat and rice.  With the addition of lemon and egg, it's actually pretty tasty.

Here is the recipe:

Dolmades

Ingredients:
1 jar grapevine leaves
1 lb beef, uncooked
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1 large onion, finely chopped
salt/pepper to taste
Whites of 2 eggs

Sauce: 
2 egg yolks
2 tsp cornstarch
1 lemon, juiced
2 beef bouillon cubes

Mix together all ingredients (except grape leaves).  (see Grape Leaf Preparation)

Grape Leaf Preparation:

Prepare grape leaves.  Remove from jar, unroll and separate.  Rinse with water to remove the brine.  Drop leaves in pot of boiling water for two minutes.  If using fresh grape leaves, they must be boiled for a couple of minutes.

Remove leaves from boiling water, drain and remove stems from leaves.  Place grape leaf with shiny side down.

Place a teaspoonful of filling about 1 inch from stem end of leaf.  Fold one side in, then the other and continue rolling to end.  The roll will be about 1 1/2" -2" long, depending on size of leaf.  Stuffed grape leaves should fit snugly together in pan. When bottom layer is complete, start a second layer on top.  Pace a heavy, heat resistant plate on top of do lathes to prevent unrolling during cooking.

Now to prepare a liquid to put over grape leaves as the cook.  Juice of one lemon, 2 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in one cup hot water.

Place heat resistant plate over grape leaves to hold them down as they cook.  Pour enough boiling water to cover the plate.    Cover the pan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and allow them to cook slowly for 45 minutes.

Remove from heat.  Hold a plate tightly against the leaves to pour excess liquid into a saucepan.  Dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch in 1/4 cup cold water and add to liquid in saucepan.  Whisk and bring to a boil.  Beat the egg yolks, stirring constantly.  Add the thickened liquid very gradually to the yolks.  Stir well.

To serve, place the stuffed grape leaves on a platter and spoon the sauce over them.  These may be frozen and reheated.



Let me know if you try making Dolmades.  I would love to hear how they come out!

Enjoy!


*Look for the Vegetarian version - coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment