Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Felt Gingerbread House Ornament

We had so much fun making the felt Christmas Tree Ornament, that I decided to make a gingerbread house ornament.

Supplies needed:
felt (brown, white (or cream)
buttons
thread
embroidery thread (optional)
scissors
paper
pencil
ruler
ribbon

I made a template on my paper.  Using my ruler, I measured my square  ".  I made the top of my house by finding the center and measuring up half of the houses length.  Cut out your template, place on felt and trace using your pencil.  Make two (one for the back of your ornament).

Using my template, I made a triangle on the cream colored felt and started cutting.  I tried to cut the bottom part like snow hanging from the roof.

I sewed the "snow" onto the house.  I guess you could use hot glue.  I find sewing by hand relaxing.  Well, when it's fun stuff, not when I have to sew on a million patches onto a brownie uniform.  Next came the buttons and door (once again, I cut this out of the cream felt, I did not have a template, just free handed it).  I decided to use red embroidery thread on the window to make it festive, and, possibly look like a piece of candy (not sure if that worked).

Once I was done, I sewed a little ribbon to the back so I can hang as an ornament and then sewed the other piece of felt onto the back (again, you can probably hot glue the back on).

And, there you have it.  An easy to make felt gingerbread house ornament.  Makes a great ornament, or attachment to a gift.

Have you made any ornaments this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment