Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Our high school has a form we have to sign about giving our son's name and phone number to the military (when they turn 18). I always say "no" on these forms. I was very firm about it this year since Nick was turning 18.

I know.  At 18, he is an adult and can do (almost) anything he wants - even join the military.  I have nothing against the military.  It's just one of those items on my list of things that the boys can not do until I die.  (they know about the list and have even added to it).

Tuesday, Nick turned 18.  We had dinner.  We sang "Happy Birthday" to him.  He blew out the candles.  The phone rang and I answered.  It was someone asking for Nick.  (he has a cell phone and no one ever calls the home phone asking for him, so it was a little strange)

Me:  Who's calling?

Him:  It's ______ from the US Marines.

Me:  How did you get his name and phone number?

Him:  From the high school.

Me:  That's interesting.  I filled out a form asking that his name and number not be given out to the military.

Him:  I'm sorry.  I will put down that he is not interested.

Me:  Yes.  You do that.

I know I have no right, he is 18, an adult.  He can make his own decisions (he would have said no, by the way).  My question is why have this form when you are not going to honor the parent's decision?

I haven't spoken to the school yet.

I'm waiting to calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment