Friday, January 24, 2014

Peppermint Swirl Bundt Cake

I bought a bundt pan awhile ago and have been dying to use it.  Just the name is fun to say. 

Bundt. 
Bundt. 

Of course, I like pronouncing it "Boondt."

"I want to make a boondt cake."

Boondt.

Try it.  It's fun.  

I found this recipe for a Peppermint Swirl Bundt Cake on the Betty Crocker website.  Here is a link to the recipe from their site.

I love peppermint and you make this in a bundt (boondt) cake pan.  It's a win win for me. 

I wasn't sure how the peppermint would go over with my family.  It's one of those things either you love or you hate.  Apparently they love peppermint because this cake lasted less than 24 hours.

This is probably more of a Christmas type dessert.  I don't see why you can't put some red hot candies on it and serve it up for Valentine's Day. 

Here's the recipe:


Peppermint Swirl Bundt Cake

Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 white cake mix
   (water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on the cake mix box)
1/2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 tsp peppermint extract

For the White Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 T milk or water
1/2 tsp vanilla, if desired
  • Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Generously grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan. Make cake batter as directed on box. Pour about 2 cups batter into pan. In small bowl, pour about 3/4 cup batter; stir in food color and peppermint extract. Carefully pour pink batter over white batter in pan. Carefully pour remaining white batter over pink batter.
  • 2 Bake and cool cake as directed on box.
  • 3 In small bowl, mix white icing ingredients. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Spread over cake. Sprinkle crushed candy on top. Store loosely covered.
 
You can decorate this cake using crushed candy canes or peppermint hard candy.
You can use little red hot candies on it to make it special for Valentines Day, too.
 
If you try it, let me know how long it lasts in your house!  :)
 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. "What's this?"

    "It's a bundt cake."

    "Bunk?"

    "No, bundt."

    "Bun... Bunk?"

    "No! BUNDT!

    "Oh... It's a cake! I know! Thank you! Thank you very, very much."

    "There's a hole in this cake!"

    Sorry, can't help but think of the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" whenever I hear about bundt cakes.

    It sounds delicious, though, and I just LOVE peppermint!

    ReplyDelete