Friday, January 31, 2014

Grocery Store Tour - For Girl Scout Troop

We took our Brownie Girl Scout Troop on a field trip to the local grocery store.  I know, I thought the same thing.  A field trip at a grocery store?  Now that's exciting (NOT).

Boy was I wrong!

We visited our local Jewel store.  They were very accommodating and were very excited to have us visit their store.

Our trip started out in the floral department.  The floral designer talked to the girls about the flowers (some were in the cooler to keep them fresh) and plants (they need to be watered a little daily).  We were there right before Christmas so we talked a little about poinsettias.  I asked her about when they bloom.  She was surprised that I still have one (a gift I received last year from a family member).  She said they need to be in complete darkness for half the day and suggested that I put it in a closet.  I'm afraid if I do, I will forget about it and it would die.  I will keep you posted if I ever get the nerve to try this out....

We moved on to the grocery department and got to see the big freezers in the back that hold milk and the one that holds the ice cream (YUM!). 

We walked over to the meat department and they gave us a little information on how their department is set up...meat/chicken/fish.  He even told us that they will cook the fish for you while you wait.  How cool is that?  An easy dinner with no dirty pots and pans to wash!

At the bakery we watched how they decorated a big cookie and the girls were able to sample some bread and a cookie.

The deli gave us a little tour showing us all that they carry: deli meats, cheeses, salads.  The girls sampled a piece of American cheese.

In the product department we learned that there are over 7000 types of apples and that they have 15 of them in stock.  We sampled a yummy honey crisp apple.

Each department was wonderful answering the girls questions.  The girls walked away with a fun gift bag from the pharmacy and a troop picture to remember their time at the store. 

By the way, our Girl Scout store has a fun patch for "Grocery Store Tour."

If you go on a tour, let me know  how it turns out and what your troop learned.  I would love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the poinsettia thing. I'd be afraid of hurting its feelings by putting it in a closet. A gift bag from the pharmacy? Drugs?? It sounded like a lot of fun. A tour of a grocery store... Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No drugs, sorry. Glow sticks, lip balm, and I forgot what else. It was fun. I didn't expect to actually learn stuff on the field trip, but I did. It was great!

    ReplyDelete