Monday, December 9, 2013

Handmade Felt Heart Ornaments

I'm so excited about this week's "Handmade" gift ideas.  These gift ideas are especially great for Secret Santa gifts!  They are not very expensive to make (you might have most/all of the materials on hand!)  Some of these gifts can be made by children.  And on some, your child can help you. 

Enough talking about it....Let's get started!

I thought I would start out the week with Felt Heart Ornaments.  I chose hearts because I like hearts.  I guess you can use another shape if you like.  I thought this would be an easy gift idea to make for someone on your list.  This ornament is also a great idea for a Secret Santa gift. 

I don't have pictures for everything I did when making this ornament.  I do have step by step instructions on how to make the felt ornament.

Here we go....

Supplies needed:
Paper
pencil
pins (optional)
felt (I used white, off white would look good, too)
buttons (I used red and stayed with the same color)
thread (color of your felt and the color of your buttons)
stuffing (cotton balls will work, too)
scissors
ribbon

Draw a heart.  Best done free hand.  And, don't try to draw the perfect heart.  I know it's hard.  I love drawing perfect hearts.

I drew my heart so it was a little longer and thinner.
 

Cut the heart out and pin to felt and lightly trace onto the felt using the pencil. 


Cut hearts out and match up and start sewing on the buttons (mine are sewn on randomly). 

Once the buttons are sewn on both hearts, sew the two hearts together (buttons on the outside).  Take your ribbon (you don't need much, just enough so you will be able to hang onto a tree...say, 5 inches?) and fold in half and sew (I made sure that mine was sticking out of the middle on top of the heart). 

Once the ribbon is attached, you can use your pins to pin the two hearts together to make it easier to sew.  Now you can start sewing your hearts together.  (I used white thread on my white hearts, feel free to use a different color)

Once you are halfway around, stuff your hearts and finish sewing up your ornament.

felt heart ornament
All ready for the tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment