Monday, December 23, 2013

Homemade Blank Books

I thought I had a post about these blank books on my blog.  If I do, I have yet to find the post!

I have made these blank books before (for myself) and think they would make a great gift for someone.  They are very inexpensive to make because you are reusing products that you already have on hand!  I'm all for recycling.

This is where I would say, "Take a look at my previous post for more details on the "how to" part."  Of course, I can't find the previous post, so, I will have to reinvent the wheel here and give you a step by step process. 

You can find these books and "how to" instructions on other blogs.  I didn't come up with this idea, but, I do enjoy making them and think they would make a wonderful gift for someone on your list.

Let's get started!

Supplies needed:
cardboard (you can use an empty cereal box or tissue box)
awl or crop-o-dile
pretty paper (or duct tape)
glue
scissors
pencil
ruler
plain paper (for the inside of the book) (I used notebook paper for a couple of books)
embroidery thread and needle

First, cut off the top of your box and cut down one of the sides of the box.  There is a side where the box is glued together, that's usually the side I use.   At this point, you can cut off one of the side panels.

For a small book, I use a Kleenex box.  I measure the size on the side of the box and cut.  This way it will fold naturally and I won't have to tape two pieces of card board together.  Your book will fold nicely along the lines.  Just make sure to measure so both sides are even.  This is where a ruler comes in handy.  

Now to decorate the book.  You can use pretty paper (placed to cover the wording on the card board).  You can put paper on both the inside and outside if you want.  Pictured below on the left is a book using the paper on the outside, the right side shows using the paper inside the book.



 Below is a picture using (pretty) duct tape.  I used this on the outside of the book.

Once your book is decorated, it is time to make holes in the crease of the book.  I used my crop o dile.  An awl will work, too. 

Cut your paper that you plan on using for the inside of your notebook down to size.  You will then need to make sure that it is folded and has holes where it will be attached into the notebook.

yea, owls...guess whooo?  this one is for?
 
 Using your embroidery thread and needle, sew up your book.  I started so I left a little of the thread hanging out on the inside back cover of the book.  You can also have it tie in the inside middle of the book.  (I have seen some where it is tied on the outside of the book).  Sew from one hole to the next.  I would make sure that you hit each hole two to three times just to make sure that the paper is snug inside the book.  Tie the ends together.
And you are done.


These small books are great to throw in your purse or backpack.  Make a little smaller and it could fit in a shirt pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment