Sunday, December 22, 2013

Thankful for what I have

The holidays are a crazy time of year. Everyone is busy running around. Buying gifts for the special people on their list.  With all of this spending and craziness, it's hard to remember the true meaning of Christmas.

Then, along comes someone who, when asked, "What do you want for Christmas?"  Answers with, "Nothing. I have everything I need."

I know there are a lot of people that use that answer.  This time, the reply came from my thirteen year old. The one with the big heart.

When I asked Alex to give me a Christmas list, he responded, "I'm okay.  I already have everything I need."  

I can't say I was shocked. He's pretty easy going. Doesn't ask for much. 

His answer did make me think about Christmas and how it has turned into a shopping season.  Ads and sales that try to get people to spend more money on "things."  "Things" we don't necessarily need.

For us, Jesus is the reason for the season.  One of the greatest gifts ever.  The message seems to get lost in all of the sales and shopping.

I don't think there is a way to stop the shopping frenzy that goes on for the holidays.  People buy gifts and stores want to make money.

I guess it's up to each individual to decide what is important to them. 

For me, it's my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment