Sunday, August 26, 2012

Vegetarian Diaries

Still hanging in there. 
It was difficult while on vacation.  Some restaurants do not offer a vegetarian dish.  Some have salad.  Of course, the kids picked Culvers on the way up to Door County.  Luckily they had Minestrone soup.  On the way back, they didn't have a vegetable soup so I had a grilled cheese (kids size). (which was more than enough)  < I could probably talk about portion size at restaurants, too, but, I won't now.
We did find a few restaurants that had vegetarian meals (and they were good, too).  Unfortunately I didn't know if a restaurant would have a vegetarian choice for a meal.  Some places are nice and if you ask them they will hold the meat from the meal.  And I found that some places will still charge you the full price even when you take off the meat from the meal.
At our block party a couple weeks ago I mentioned to a few people that I was a new vegetarian.  One woman overheard and said that she tried it for a month and then went back to meat.  Another woman said she tried it for 3 months and found it too difficult, especially when eating out.  She also said she was sick of salads.  I did get some words of encouragement.  It was also nice to know that others had the same obstacles to overcome. 
I should mention that one person said, after I said that I was a vegetarian, "Why?  What's wrong with you?"  I think she meant physically, not mentally.  (or maybe she really did think it was mentally?)  She did say that she thought there was a medical condition that required me to eat vegetarian.
I did learn a touch about tofu and that grilled tofu tastes good (I haven't tested this, but, will let you know if I try it)  

2 comments:

  1. Sick of salads?!? She must not know how to make a good salad. I eat one just about every day.

    Do you want to know my thoughts on the vegetarian diet and tofu, or should I keep my big mouth shut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think some people get creative with their salad and end up with just have plain lettuce.
      You can talk about vegetarian diets and tofu. I can't say much about tofu. It does kind of give me the creeps. I'm willing to try eating it. Not sure how to cook it, tho.
      I have all kinds of people giving me their "2 cents" on vegetarian diets. I'm a great listener.

      Delete