Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Vegan Diaries - Home Made Salsa

 I love salsa.  And home made Salsa is definitely the best!   I prefer to use fresh tomatoes in this recipe (well, as fresh as they are in the grocery store in the middle of a Chicago winter).   This is also a great recipe to use with those tomatoes and peppers you grow in your garden during the summer months.  I mean, that's one of the reasons why you have your own garden, right?  

The recipe is so simple that you can make it year 'round.   This salsa doesn't last long in our house.   

If you make the Home made Salsa, let me know what you think in the comments below.

Here's the recipe:

Home Made Salsa

ingredients:
28oz can whole tomatoes*
15 oz can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1.5 TBSP lime juice
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin

directions:
Place all ingredients in food processor or Vitamix.  Pulse a few times until salsa consistency.  
Add more spice if needed.


*I use fresh tomatoes in this recipe.  I substitute a couple of pounds of tomatoes for the 28oz can of whole tomatoes (about 4-8 tomatoes).  Make sure to remove the seeds and to chop into pieces before putting into the blender/food processor.  I still add the 15oz can of tomatoes, though.
* I add chopped green pepper and poblano pepper (1/2 cup).
*I like my salsa a little spicy so I will add a jalapeno or two.
*When using the Vitamix, pulse slowly or the salsa will get frothy.  
*Feel free to use salt when making the salsa.  I don't add salt to my recipes and usually forget to add that in the recipe ingredients.

Are you a salsa lover?


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment