Monday, March 28, 2022

My Weird Dog

 I had to dig this scary story out of the depths of my mind.  It's an oldie but the message remains true to this day.

When my children were little, we went through a horrible nightmare a lice phase.  Yea, before you get grossed out judge, I heard that kids getting head lice happens.  You just deal with the situation and move on.  I never had it growing up so this was a first time experience for me.  This story isn't about our lice experience, although I should write about that another time.  This just goes into a piece of information that I was given during this horrific  awful  nightmare  experience.  

During our lice phase, we had to clean everything in our house that could possibly have come in contact with anyone's head and could potentially be a place where lice could live.  Look around your home.  Imagine cleaning everything in a day before your children decide to put their head down on a pillow, couch, bed, carpet, etc.  Everyone has their special tips and remedies and, believe me, at this point, you are willing to try anything.  Some things work while others didn't produce the outcome expected, except more work for you.   

At one point during this process, one of the kids had to go to the doctor.  For some reason we had a different doctor.  I brought up head lice during the consult.  I explained everything I was doing to get rid of the pests and to prevent further outbreaks.  The doctor was impressed with my cleaning and attempted prevention techniques.  She went on to ask me if we had a dog.  To this, of course I answered yes.  The doctor started telling me that I should get rid of my dog.  They are "unsanitary, dirty and he is the reason why you keep getting head lice."

Now, if you know me, then you know that there is no way in #ell I'm going to get rid of my dog.  My kids?  Well, some days it sounded very tempting (just kidding, I love my kids) but the dog?  No way!

Luckily I had researched the subject and became quite the expert on head lice (I probably should add that to my resume).  I told the doctor that she should do a little more research prior to answering a question when she clearly knew nothing about the subject.  Head lice does not live on animals, especially dogs.  A dog can not get or give head lice to a human.  And there is no way I will get rid of my dog.

The doctor was shocked.  My children were happy and so was I.  

By the way, we did get rid of the head lice (thank God!) and kept the dog.

Oh, and to answer that burning question on everyone's mind, the dog never had head lice during this time.

2 comments:

  1. But did you get rid of the doctor???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. After that comment I lost all respect for her.

      Delete