Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Vegan Diaries - Tasty Lentil Tacos

I found this recipe years ago.  I made it every so often and it was always a hit.  I like that they taste like tacos and, of course, are healthy.  I don't make it that often so whenever I make these tacos, my family always thinks it's a new recipe.  It's fun to watch their faces as they look at it and wonder what it is.....and if it will taste good.  (They are pleasantly surprised when they find out these tacos do taste good)

I recently made these tacos and my brother, Steve, just happened to stop by for a visit.  I made him try some (he seemed a little worried).   I have to say that he was pleasantly surprised at how good they were and has asked when I'm making them again.  (Hey, here's the recipe.  Now you can make them for me.  Hint, hint)

If you are a meat eater and want to make a vegetarian option once a week, give this recipe a try.   These lentil tacos will definitely change up your Taco Tuesday!

Here's the recipe:

Tasty Lentil Tacos

ingredients:
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp oil
1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
1 TBSP chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
chopped cilantro (optional)
2/12 cups vegetable broth
1 cup salsa
12 taco shells
Topping suggestions:
shredded lettuce, chopped tomato shredded cheese, sour cream

directions: 
In large non-stick skillet, sauce onion and garlic in oil until tender.  
Add lentils, chili powder, cumin, cilantro and oregano and cook for one minute.  Add broth.  Bring to a boil.  
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until lentils are tender.
Uncover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened.  
Gently mash some lentils (optional).
Stir in salsa.
Serve.

**I like spicy tacos so, I will add a jalapeño (diced) and maybe some diced poblano or green pepper.  Feel free to add some finely diced carrot, too.  

If you make these tacos, let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment