Friday, September 29, 2017

The Storyteller

There are good storytellers and, well, not so good storytellers.

When small children tell a story, it's usually long and drawn out.

I guess an older person can tell a story that's long and drawn out, but, it usually contains (keyword: usually) more details and action.

Then, there's Bella.

Bella is the child that will give you every single little detail in a story, even if it has nothing to do with the story line.  She's also the child that, when I ask, "How was your day at school?"  I get a minute by minute recount of her entire day starting with the moment she stepped on the bus that morning.  I'm not sure if that's better than the "Good," reply that I would get from the boys.

The other night, Bella was telling a story.  She would stop and start over.  She would start talking about a different subject (not related to the story she is currently telling).  Pausing, every once in awhile (possibly to gather more thoughts/ideas/extra unnecessary information that she can add.  RT finally interrupted her story and said, "You need to take a storytelling class."

Bella was offended.  She believes that her stories are the best and that she does not need help telling them.

Until she condenses her stories, I am now a prisoner of long, drawn out stories.

Maybe I shouldn't complain about all of the details.  Especially as she gets older.  At least I will know exactly what happened wherever she goes.

Until then, .......yawn...... I will try to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment