Friday, June 30, 2017

Time Management

I know I've written quite a few posts before on this topic.  I've had numerous talks with my children.  I think it has finally sunk into one of them (Nick).  The other two?  Well, I'm a bit frustrated worried.

It stems back to when they were little.  I would tell them when something (a movie, play date, party, etc.) started.  The child then gets it into their head that at that time they are to be ready to go and we will magically be transported to the destination.  This would be great if we lived in a fantasy world.  I could wiggle my nose or wave my magic wand and we would arrive at our destination dressed, ready and on time.

But, alas, we are not living in a fantasy world.  In our world, we have to build in a travel time.  That travel time can be anywhere from 5 minutes to two hours.  (luckily we don't have many events that are two hours away).

Alex had an appointment for his Senior picture.  I told him the date and time.

When Nick had his appointment for his Senior picture, I told him the appointment time and he just went to it by himself.   He didn't want to be seen with me  me to go with him.  It did take a lot of convincing on my part to get him to even get his picture taken - he tried to avoid it...In the end, he did it for me, but, went alone.

I thought the same would happen with Alex.

Instead, I had to wake him up.  He had no recollection of this picture appointment.  Didn't know what to wear.  Had to be reminded to brush his hair.  And, because it was getting close, I decided to drive him because I was afraid he would miss the appointment all together.

I guess it all worked out in the end.  Alex made it to the appointment (thanks to me) and took some great pictures.  Let's hope he learned a little about managing his time.

No comments:

Post a Comment