Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Severe

Severe:  adj.
  1.  (of something bad or undesirable) very great, intense
  2.  strict or harsh
  3.  very plain in style or appearance


When I was in my teens, my Mom and I would go shopping for clothes together.  I went to a Catholic High School and had to wear a uniform.  I didn't have tons of clothes.  But, when I needed clothes, off we would go to the mall.

One of the most important things I learned from my Mom,  was to scan sale racks first.  You never know what treasures you might find, and at a great price, too!  Also, to try clothes on.  Sometimes things don't look good on the hanger, but, they look great on you.

My Mom was well versed in the art of shopping and was a great cheerleader.  She was also honest about how things looked on me.  Along with her honesty came her strong opinions.  Like color.

My Mom let me wear any color I wanted, except black (the opposite of Johnny Cash).  My Mom said that black was a "severe" color.  I wasn't exactly sure what "severe" meant in that context.  I just know that when I tried something on that was black, I would hear that comment.

Thinking back on "severe," in my head I would picture some woman, in the 1940's, wearing a black dress, black hat, black shoes and long black gloves.

Sometimes I was told that it looked, "too severe."  That was confusing.  First it looks severe, and now, it's too severe?

When I was 19, I was finally allowed to wear black clothes.  I took it to the extreme and wore black head to toe for quite a few years.

Raising my children, I have to admit, they didn't wear black when they were little (maybe I thought it was too severe?).  As they got older, I let them wear black.  They each have some piece(s) of black clothing in their wardrobe.  They wear black, but, not all the time and not all of the pieces together.  I think by not putting some type of stigma on a color (like black) my children will wear all colors of clothes freely and happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment