Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Walking with Pippen

I decided to walk around the block with Pippen this morning.  The trails are covered with snow, so I have to walk on the street.  Pippen isn't exactly the easiest dog to walk.  All this time (3 years) and he refuses to be trained on how to walk properly on a leash.

The walk started out nicely until we encountered a sewer.  Pippen has a fear of sewers (or sewer grates).  He will stop, lay down with all his weight and not move.  If he sees it before you do, he will try to dart into the middle of the street.  Yea.  He's a little.....different.  Because of this behavior, I try to pull him and say, "heal," which really doesn't mean anything to him.  He will ignore me and hang out in the middle of the street.  Today, I finally said, "get over to the side before you get hit by a car!"  Pippen looked at me and then moved to the side. I think he understands when I speak to him like he's a human.

Since he has this fear of grates/sewers, I decided to start walking to the center of the street with him when I saw one up ahead.  This worked out perfectly, unless there was a sewer grate on the other side of the street. 

I wonder how we looked walking around the block?  Weaving in and out on the street?  The neighbors probably think there's something wrong with me.  They must think that I'm drunk (at 8am) and can't walk a straight line.

Never a dull moment....... 

No comments:

Post a Comment