Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pesto Sauce

I'm growing basil in my garden and its going crazy!  I have been using fresh basil in various dishes. Last week I made homemade pasta sauce with fresh basil (and oregano).

I made this fresh pesto sauce without using pine nuts.   I didn't have any on hand and thought I would give it a try without the pine nuts.

I found this recipe on Instructables.  They have great pictures to go with the recipe.  They also have a link showing you how to freeze in an ice cube tray (with more pictures!).  Check it out!

Here is the recipe I used taken from Instructables:

Pesto Sauce

Bunch of Basil* (3oz pkg )
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
1/4-1/2 cup of olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper (optional or to taste)

Put the basil, cheese and garlic in your food processor.  Set the speed to low and drizzle in your olive oil.  Start with 1/4 cup, check the consistency and add more if you like.

If you like your pesto runny, then add the rest of the olive oil (total of 1/2 cup of oil)

Scrape down the sides and add a generous pinch of salt, some pepper and a bit of lemon juice.  Pulse this together and taste.  Keep adding and pulsing until you like the way it tastes.

This recipe makes about a cup.  All you need is 1/2 cup to cover a big pot of pasta.  It freezes well.  You can either freeze in one lump or in an ice cube tray.


       Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment