Tuesday, July 22, 2014

An essay to AT&T

I had to change the title because of some crabbing overheard on Twitter. 

I changed it. 

Thank you and you're welcome. 

Ok. Continue. 

I wrote this several months ago and am still having problems with Nick's phone.  I thought I would share my frustrations with AT&T cell service.

To Whom it may concern,
I have been an AT&T customer (home and/or wireless) for many years (I think we are talking more than 20).
Recently I have run into a problem with a wireless Samsung Galaxy III phone. The phone was having problems turning on. I thought that it was possibly the charger and tried a different charger. When that didn't work, I switched out the battery. The problem was still there. I contacted AT&T and was delighted when I was told that they could switch out the phone because it was still under the one year warranty. (Now, why they only have a one year warranty when they force you to sign a two year contract is, well, it's ridiculous and, obviously another topic for another day) 
AT&T did tell me that this exchange phone is under a short warranty (it was either 14 days or 30 days). I wasn't worried. The phone should last the length of the contract, right?
Anyway....
I received the new phone, sent my old phone back in. I was quite excited that the phone was actually working.
Sixty days into using this "new" phone, I encountered the same problem. Black screen. Phone not charging. Can not make or receive phone calls or texts. I contacted AT&T about this problem and am told that the phone is not under warranty. They suggested getting another phone and new phone line (as if I am made out of money and can just keep paying for additional lines for years and years because the phones I am issued don't work). I did contact one employee at an AT&T store that suggested getting a "Go-Phone." That's where you buy a phone and they sync it to your line.
I thought I would make one last attempt at trying to figure out a solution with AT&T. I was told that they would let me upgrade to a new phone (the contract is up this coming November). They would give me the free phone, but, I would have to add an additional $45 to my cell phone bill (the one that I was just trying to reduce) and sign up for another two year contract. I don't understand why I have to buy another phone. The one they sent to me should work, right? Why would I accept a phone from AT&T when the last phone they sent me worked for only 30 days?

I have been paying for the use of a phone that I have been unable to use for two months now. Trying to get a hold of my son (who is the actual user of this phone is quite difficult). Oh, did I mention that he is a teenager? So when he goes somewhere with friends, I can't get a hold of him. And, what happens if an emergency occurs? Call 911? With what? His phone, the replacement phone that AT&T sent (the one I am paying for) does not work.
I am thoroughly disappointed. I have a product and service that I have paid for and am unable to use it.
Your solution? To sell me another product that probably won't work, put me in another 2 year contract and raise my bill.
I guess I wanted to let you know about my dissatisfaction and share with others about my experience with your company's wireless services Oh, and wait for my contracts to end and find another service provider (I think there might be a few out there to choose from).
Thanks for listening everyone.

1 comment:

  1. AT&T sucks. Yea, I said it. What a scam! These big phone carriers should be broken up.

    ReplyDelete